If you’re looking for a big bowl of something hearty and cozy to curl up with this weekend, this Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup is just the thing.
Hearty sausage, homestyle veggies, and creamy broth come together to deliver the ultimate hug-in-a-bowl scenario and it’s everything I want in a cold-weather dinner.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
Sausage: Any kind of sausage will do here! But it should be raw (not pre-cooked) because you’re going to crumble it in. I love using Italian sausage for this recipe.
Potatoes: Waxy yellow potatoes are best, as they hold their shape as they cook.
Carrots: Big coin-shaped slices reminiscent of childhood.
Celery: A must-have for most soups. This time we’re chopping them on the chunky side.
Onions: Because you’ve gotta have onions
Garlic: For that background flavour
Plum tomatoes: I usually use canned tomatoes, but fresh will work too.
Thyme: I like using fresh thyme, but dried will work too. Just use less of it.
Cream: Any kind of high-fat cooking cream works. Dairy, non-dairy, whatever!
Stock: Chicken or veggie. Whatever you’ve got!
Parsley: For a bright green finish
Black pepper: The pepper flavour is very nice in this soup
Salt: For flavour
How to make this Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup
This soup is really easy to make and you only need one pot!
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Crumble the sausage into the pot and cook until the sausage is brown and crispy, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon.
- While the sausage is browning, dice the onion, peel and chop the carrots, chop the celery and tomatoes, and mince the garlic.
- Once the sausage is browned and slightly crispy, remove it from the pot and drain any excess fat if needed.
- Add the butter to the pot, and add the onions and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-ish minutes. Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, garlic, cooked sausage, and potatoes to the pot and stir to combine.
- Remove the thyme from the stems and chop roughly before adding it to the pot.
- Add the stock. There should be just enough liquid to barely cover the soup ingredients.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft—about 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the cream, parsley, and black pepper, and taste. Adjust the seasoning as needed. Enjoy!
- Make sure you’re using a high-fat cream for this soup. Full-fat sour cream or heavy cream are perfect. If you’re using a non-dairy cream, make sure it says FOR COOKING on the label. Otherwise, it might separate during cooking.
- Depending on the fat content of your sausages, you may have to add fat to help them brown. This is usually the case when using vegan sausages.
- Make sure you use waxy potatoes here rather than starchy russet potatoes. The waxier the potato, the better it is at holding its shape after it’s cooked.
What goes well with this Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup Recipe?
I personally don’t need anything with this soup. It’s so hearty! But if you really wanted something on the side, I’d recommend some nice garlic bread.
Storage, freezing, and reheating tips
Allow the sausage soup to cool completely before transferring it to a food-safe container and putting it in the fridge.
This soup keeps very well in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you’d like to freeze it, I’d recommend leaving the cream out and adding it during the reheating process instead.
Frequently asked questions
Can this Sausage and Potato Soup be made Vegan?
Yes! Use vegan sausages and plant-based cooking cream and you’ve got a truly satisfying vegan dinner. Feed it to meat-eaters and they probably won’t know the difference.
Can I use dried thyme instead of fresh?
For sure. Just use about 1 teaspoon at most. That stuff is strong!
Looking for more cozy fall comfort food recipes? Try these out!
- Kabocha Squash and Chickpea Stew
- Cauliflower Baked Orzo
- Oven-Braised Chicken Thighs with Olives and Capers
Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- 4 sausages
- 1 tablespoon butter or plant-based spread
- 2 medium onions
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 plum tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 5 small potatoes (waxy)
- 1 litre stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2/3 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a large pot or Dutch Oven over medium heat. Crumble the sausage into the pot and cook until the sausage is brown and crispy, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, dice the onions and chop the celery into chunky slices.
- Remove the sausage from the pot and drain the excess fat if needed.
- Add the butter to the pot, and add the onions, celery, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel the carrots and slice them into coins. Add them to the pot with the onions and celery.
- Mince the garlic, chop the tomatoes, and them to the pot.
- Chop the potatoes into large chunks and add them to the pot along with the browned sausage.
- Remove the thyme leaves from the stems, chop finely, and add to the pot.
- Pour in the stock. There should be enough liquid to barely cover the soup ingredients. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender—around 10-15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender, turn off the heat and add the cream, the pepper, and the parsley.
- Taste for seasoning and enjoy!