This Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice recipe is so deeply comforting. It’s loaded with fall flavours like mushrooms and rosemary and it could not be easier to put together. It’s a one-pot-wonder that will cure any fall or winter blues.
I’ve really been embracing the “throw it all in the pot” method lately, and this Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice is the perfect one-pot dinner that uses that method.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
The only special equipment you’ll need to make this recipe is an Instant Pot. As for the ingredients, you’ll need:
- Mushrooms: I use button or crimini mushrooms because they’re great and they’re easy to find.
- Onions: For that unbeatable flavour base.
- Garlic: It helps with the immune-boosting qualities of this recipe and, how can you resist garlic?
- Chicken thighs: Technically you could use any chicken pieces you want, but I love thighs because they have loads of flavour, they get super tender when they’re cooked for a while, and they have just the right amount of fat to make the broth lovely and rich. I’m using boneless skinless chicken thighs because they’re so damn convenient.
- Brown rice: I like using short-grain or medium-grain brown rice for this because the grains continue to absorb liquid as the dish sits over time. I find that long-grain rice has a tendency to get a bit mushy.
- A few herbs and spices: Fresh or dried rosemary, paprika, bay leaves and salt. A few cracks of pepper at the end is also a nice touch.
- Something green: I often like to finish stewy soupy things with a fresh green hit at the end. For this recipe, I like using a combination of green onions and something leafy, like arugula or spinach.
- Chicken stock, or water + bouillon: I love using homemade or low sodium chicken broth for recipes like these, but this one is all about convenience. So water it is! Plus some kind of bouillon, if you have it. It really helps amp up the chicken flavour. Better than Bouillon is my favourite brand.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice with Mushrooms
Like I said in the intro, this recipe could not be easier to make.
- Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and cut the mushrooms into quarters
- Throw those veggies into the Instant Pot along with the spices, the rice, the chicken, and the stock or water.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure a 24 minute cook time, before allowing the pressure to release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This allows for a bit more absorption and flavour development.
- Release the remaining pressure, then stir in the greens and serve.
What goes well with this Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice?
This dish is a true one-pot-wonder. The only thing you need to pair with it is a pair of stretchy pants and a cozy movie. Oh, and a glass of red wine wouldn’t be amiss either.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating Tips
Eaten right away, this Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice has the consistency of a very hearty chicken soup or stew. If you prefer a thicker, mushroom casserole vibe, I’d recommend giving it some time in the fridge before diving in. It thickens up as it cools and the rice continues to absorb the broth.
Be careful when you’re storing and reheating this recipe. It’s best practice to cool foods quickly, so transfer it to a shallow container as soon as possible so it takes less time for the steam to escape. Once it’s cooled down, cover with a lid and store it in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to reheat it.
You can keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 30 days.
You can reheat this recipe in the microwave, or top it with cheese or bread crumbs and baked in the oven.
People often ask
Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs?
Sure you can. But the broth will be slightly less rich, and the chicken may be a bit less tender.
Can I use white rice instead of brown rice?
I wouldn’t recommend using white rice here because it cooks far too quickly and will turn to mush in the pressure cooker.
Can I use any other herb besides rosemary?
Yes, but I’d recommend sticking to the woody herbs like thyme or savoury to keep the cozy vibe of this recipe.
Can I use frozen chicken?
Yes. If you’re using frozen chicken I’d add an extra 3 minutes to the cooking time.
Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?
I’m sure you can, but I have not tried it so I couldn’t tell you how long it would take. It’s just so quick in the Instant Pot. Let me know if you give it a try!
Looking for more feel-good recipes? I think you’ll love these:
- Carrot Ginger and Lentil Soup
- Black Lentil and Broccoli Curry
- The Joys of Savoury Porridge
- Oven Braised Chicken Thighs with Lemons and Capers
I hope this recipe warms you from the inside-out. Let me know how it goes!
Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice with Mushrooms
- Instant Pot
- 3 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 400 grams button or crimini mushrooms
- 850 grams boneless skinless chicken thighs 10-12
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1.5 cups short or medium-grain brown rice
- 1 litre water or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon optional
- 5 green onions or other leafy greens
- 1. Dice the onions, mince the garlic and cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- 2. Put everything but the greens into the instant pot and secure the lid.
- 3. Set the instant pot to high pressure for 24 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the remaining steam manually.
- 4. Stir in the greens and/or green onions and serve.